Bimonthly Briefing – December 2015
– End-of-Year Message from President
– 2016 IACMR Hangzhou Conference Updates
– MI Updates
– Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund
– Academic News
– Job Openings
End-of-Year Message from President
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
The year of 2015 is fast drawing to an end. I would like to take a moment to share with you a few highlights of IACMR in 2015.
- This is the first full year that we implemented the new constitution and bylaws passed in July 2014. To execute the business of IACMR on behalf of the Board, we formed an Executive Committee (EC), including four voting members, Chao Chen (Immediate Past President), Larry Farh (President), Neng Liang (President-Elect), Ray Friedman (Vice President and Program Chair of 2016 conference) and, three nonvoting members, Zhixue Zhang (Vice President Elect), Xiaomeng Zhang (Treasurer/Secretary) and Zhijun Yao (Executive Director). The Executive Committee has held monthly meetings using WebEx, which has proved to be a very effective medium for deliberating key issues and allowing major decisions to be made, drawing on the collective wisdom of the group. I am very pleased with and confident that this governance structure will serve IACMR well in the years to come, as every elected chief officer will serve on the EC for six years and guarantees the continuity of the management team.
- Chinese Management Research Method Workshop was successfully hosted by Tianjin University in July 2015. We adopted a new format this year, where Chinese was the primary language for the workshop. We also increased the number of faculty advisors for the workshop, including lecturing as well as non-lecturing faculty. The enlarged faculty group allows us to admit more participants to the workshop (N= 145). The workshop was so successful that several schools have contacted us to express their willingness to host future workshops. We plan to host the next workshops at Huazhong University of Science and Technology in 2017, and Nanjing University in 2019.
- Kwok Leung Memorial Fund was successfully established. We are saddened by the untimely passing of Kwok Leung. His brilliant scholarship, warmth, and serving spirit have enriched our life immensely. Led by Ray Friedman, Chao Chen and Xiao-Ping Chen, we set up a memorial fund for him. Thus far, the fund thus far has received over one million in RMB in cash and pledges. The fund has already begun to receive applications for the 2016 award, intended to support doctoral student theses.
- Finally, under the leadership of Ray Friedman (Program Chair) and Xiaobo Wu (Co-Program Chair, Dean of Zhejiang U.), the 2016 IACMR Conference is anticipated to be a great conference. Thanks to your enthusiastic support, we received 20% more paper submissions than the 2014 Conference in Beijing. We have lined up a number of exciting sessions for the Conference, and we look forward to seeing you all in Hangzhou in June 2016.
Last but not least, allow me to wish you all Happy Holidays and a Wonderful New Year!
Jiing-Lih Larry Farh
President of IACMR, Chair Professor of Management
Hong Kong U of Science and Technology
On Behalf of the Executive Committee
2016 IACMR Conference
- Call for PDWs Proposals
The paper and symposium submissions for the 2016 conference closed in October with 764 submissions in total. All the papers are under review and the acceptance or decision letters will be sent out in January 2016. In addition to paper and symposium presentations in the Scholarly Program, we also invited proposals for Professional Development Workshops (PDWs) that will be held on the last day of the conference, June 19, 2016. By the submission deadline of Midnight November 25, 2015, U.S. Eastern Standard Time, more than 30 PDWs proposals have been received.
- Keynote panel information online
“2016 Conference General Events & Keynote Panel Sessions” have been posted online. You can click here to read key events of the conference. If you want to get more information about keynote panel speakers and the topics, please click here.
- Registration system is open
The 2016 IACMR Conference Registration is open now. Please click here to start your registration.
Due to the generous support of sponsoring universities, we are pleased to provide deep discounts on the registration fee if you register before March 1, 2016 (70% discount for students and 40% for regular members)! So please hurry! You will still enjoy good discounts if you register from March 1 to May 31. Registration will be closed from June 1 to June 14, 2016 to allow preparation of the conference materials. On-site registration will be available (June 15 to 19) at regular fee with no discount.
- Student Grant
The Conference expects to offer up to 120 Student Grants to partially cover the hotel charge or travel cost for students. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, and priority will be given to those fee-paying members who will present paper or be active volunteers in the conference. All grant application forms should be received before February 29, 2016 and the awards will be announced by April 16, 2016. Please click here to find the details of the policy and log into the conference system and click “Student Grant Policy and Application” to start your application.
- Hotel information and tour information online
2016 Conference hotel reservation information and optional tour lines are also available online now. The hotel rooms with corporate rates can be reserved on the conference website by clicking here. Due to limited number of rooms available at the special conference rate, it will be a great idea to reserve your rooms early.
Management Insights (MI) Updates
The Electronic version of Management Insights Issue 1, Issue 2 and Issue 3 is available online. Please click here to read the articles. As ‘bilingual’ is one of the MI characteristics, the key articles are also available in English.
The Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund
IACMR has established the Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund to help keep Kwok in our hearts and minds over the coming years and to honor Kwok’s support for young scholars. The fund will support Ph.D. student dissertation research. If you would like to support the Kwok Leung Memorial Fund, your contribution will have a great impact on young scholars and will be greatly appreciated. Please click here for detail information.
The Call for Proposals for Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund has been publicized and you may read the details by clicking here and submit your proposal for the fund support.
- For the call for papers for JOB special issue and 2016 Conference on the Consequences of Proactive Behaviors, click here
- For the call for papers for the special Issue on Intercultural Conflict and Collaboration, click here.
- Tongji SEM & IACMR Lectures were held on Nov.2,2015 at School of Economics and Management, Tongji University. School of Economics and Management, Tongji Unviersity and IACMR sponsored the lectures.
Lecture One: How to Argue the Moderating Mechanism in Management and Organization Research? Patterns and Evidence
Lecturer: Dr. Liangding Jia, Professor of School of Business, Nanjing University
Lecture Two: The process of developing achievement goal models
Lecturer: Andrew J. Elliot, Professor of Rochester Univresity
- IACMR member, Dr. Dong Liu and his co-authors recently advanced a new organizational theory, Event System Theory (EST) published in the October issue of theAcademy of Management Review (AMR) (Morgeson, Mitchell, & Liu, 2015). Previous studies tended to focus on the static features of organizational entities (e.g., individual personality, team demographic diversity, corporate governance structure) and paid little attention to the meaningful experiences of organizational entities (e.g., events). EST highlights the three characteristics that enable events to be impactful and meaningful to study: i.e., the extent to which events are novel, disruptive, and critical (reflecting event strength). EST provides a needed shift in focus for organizational research by developing specific propositions articulating the interplay among event strength and the spatial and temporal processes through which events come to influence organizations. A PDW on event research, This Is An Eventful Era: An Event-Oriented Approach to Indigenous Management Research In China, will take place at the 2016 IACMR conference on June 19th in Hangzhou. During the PDW, Dr. Liu and four other panelists will strive to generate a comprehensive and informative elaboration about how to investigate events at different organizational levels and from different perspectives (e.g., macro, micro, quantitative, and qualitative). You can contact Dr. Dong Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org
Morgeson, F. P., Mitchell, T. R., & Liu, D. (2015). Event system theory: An event-oriented approach to the organizational sciences. 40, 515-537..
The following schools are recruiting faculty members. Please click here for the detailed information..
School/ University: Department of Management, Lingnan University
Positions: Henry Y. W. Fong Chair Professor of Management
School/ University: Graduate School of China, Sungkyunkwan University
Positions: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor (Non-Korean), Chinese Studies in Management (Seoul Campus)
Contacts: Prof. Kim Yongjune (email@example.com), or Prof. Miao Yuzhe (firstname.lastname@example.org), or The Office of GSC (email@example.com),Phone: +82-2-740-1543~1544
If your school needs to post job vacancies at our website, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to online posting, the information about job vacancies is also posted via our official WeChat (IACMR2002), now 3300+ subscribers] and included in the Bimonthly Briefing which is distributed to all the IACMR membership. Please find our Job Posting Policy here.
Your Input Welcomed
Your contributions are also welcomed. You can send us news about members’ activities, research information, feedback about IACMR, information from management field, etc. to email@example.com. Submission deadline is 10th of every even-month.