2015 IACMR Annual Review
– IACMR Updates and Development
– IACMR Research Method Workshop
– IACMR Biennial Conference
– Membership Service
– IACMR Publication
– IACMR Awards
– News of IACMR Officers and Members
– Special Memorial for Prof. Kwok Leung
IACMR Updates and Development
1. New IACMR officers (2015-2018) election
IACMR officers election for the term of July 2015 to March 2018 was held in 2015. Nominations for the IACMR biennial election of five officers and two non-voting Ph.D. student representatives were closed in March 25 the voting system was opened subsequently. By the deadline of May 15, 165 eligible members casted their votes. On May 25 IACMR office announced the election results as below:
Vice President and Program Chair (2018): Zhixue Zhang, Peking University
Representative- at-Large, Americas: Christopher Marquis, Cornell University
Representative- at-Large, Europe: Samuel Aryee, King’s College London
Representative- at-Large, Mainland China: Jian Liang, Shanghai Jiaotong University
Representative- at-Large, Asia Pacific: Aichia Chuang, the National Taiwan University
Ph.D. Student Representative, China: Meng Xi, Nanjing University
Ph.D. Student Representative, Outside of China: Carys Chan, the Australian National University
2. 2015 IACMR Events at AoM
Every year, IACMR takes the opportunity of scholars gathering at the AOM annual meeting to hold the IACMR Board meeting, business meeting and a reception. This year saw the events held as usual and added with a memorial service for Prof. Kwok Leung who passed away on May 25.
At both the IACMR Board Meeting and IACMR Highlights (previously “IACMR Business Meeting”), Prof. Jiing-Lih Larry Farh, IACMR President, reviewed the key activities such as implementation of the revised Bylaws, IACMR publications, new officers election, 2015 IACMR Research Methods Workshop. Zhijun Yao, Executive Director, gave updates on the operation side, mainly on website revamping and new approaches in communicating with membership. Arie Lewin, Editor-in-Chief of MOR, shared the latest news from MOR and his plans to further enhance the influence of the journal. Mr. Adrian Micu, President and CEO, Haier America, was invited to give a speech on ‘Reflection on My Experience with Changing Careers from Whirlpool Corporation to Haier, a Chinese Icon’ at the session of IACMR Highlights and Keynote Speech.
A memorial service to remember and honor Kwok Leung was held at 4:00-5:00 pm on Aug. 9 at the AOM conference site. Over 100 scholars attended the service.
Sponsored by the School of Management, Zhejiang University, a fascinating reception was held in Saturna Island Room of the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver at 7:00-8:30pm, August 9th. After IACMR President Larry Farh’s opening, Dean Xiaobo Wu gave a brief speech about his school and the 2016 conference in Hangzhou.
Pleaseclick here to read the reports on the events held at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver on Sunday Aug. 9.
IACMR Research Method Workshop
2015 IACMR Research Methods Workshop was successfully held in Tianjin from July 12 to 16. College of Management and Economics, Tianjin University co-organized this workshop. There were 135 participants from 53 Universities/Affiliations in Mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau, and Australia attending workshop this year. 34 of them were faculties and 101 were students. All participants were divided into 14 discussion groups and each group was led by one faculty advisor. Faculty gave 16 lectures on key methods topics such as measurement, qualitative research, survey research, etc. Participants also discussed their research proposals in small group sessions led by faculty.The workshop report is available online. Please click herefor the details.
IACMR Biennial Conference
1. LAC meetings
LAC meetings were held at the School of Management, Zhejiang University on March 15 and July 1 respectively. The key issues like the conference hotel, sponsoring schools, sponsorship invitation and the conference program, paper acceptance plan were discussed and agreed on. Zhejiang U. of Technology, Zhejiang U. of Finance & Economics, Zhejiang Gongshang U., Zhejiang Sci-Tech U., Ningbo U., Ningbo Institute of Technology and Hangzhou Dianzi U. have joined the LAC and will be working with Zhejiang U. in the course of preparations.
2. Paper/Symposium Submission
The paper/symposium submission system was opened on September 14, 2015. By the deadline of October 16, 2015, we had received 747 submissions (excluding PDW proposals), about 100 papers more than the 2014 conference. In the meantime, we had got 550 scholars voluntarily signing up as reviewers. Each paper was double-blind reviewed by 2~3 reviewers. The acceptance or decision letters were sent out with the review comments in January 2016.
3. Professional Development Workshops
In addition to paper and symposium presentations in the Scholarly Program, we also invited proposals for Professional Development Workshops (PDWs) that will be held on the last day of the conference, June 19, 2016. By the submission deadline of Midnight November 25, 2015, U.S. Eastern Standard Time, 37 PDW proposals were received. Enrollment for PDW sessions was opened on Feb.18, 2016.
4. Keynote Panels
Seven keynote panels will be organized at the 2016 conference. Information about general events and keynote panel sessions of the conference has been posted online and you may also find background information of the panel speakers.
5. Conference Registration
The 2016 IACMR Conference Registration was opened on Dec. 14, 2015. Members enjoy early-bird rates for registration by Feb. 29, 2016 and favorable discounts for period from March 1 to May 31. Registration will be closed from June 1 to June 14, 2016 to allow preparation of the conference materials. On-site registration will be available (June 15 to 19) at regular fee with no discount.
6. Student Grant
The student grant policy of 2016 conference was announced in December 2015. Up to 120 student grants will be offered to students to partially cover their hotel charge or travel cost. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis, and priority will be given to those fee-paying members who will present paper or be active volunteers in the conference. All grant application forms should be received before February 29, 2016 and the awards will be announced by April 16, 2016.
7. Hotel information and tour information
2016 Conference hotel reservation information and optional tour lines are also available. The hotel rooms with corporate rates can be reserved directly with the hotels via the conference website.
1. IACMR membership enjoyed further development in 2015. We have 1,381 fee-paying members and 9,878 registered members so far, an increase 1,400 registered members as compared with that in the end of 2014.
2. Online Job Post
We posted 12 job openings online and in IACMR WeChat Public (IACMR2002) in 2015. For example, The School of Management, the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), Journal of Chinese Human Resource Management (JCHRM), China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), School of Management, Lanzhou University, Zhejiang Institute of Talent Development, Center for Business Administration, Shenzhen Graduate School, Sungkyunkwan University. Job openings are also put in Bimonthly Briefings which are sent to every IACMR members.
3. IACMR WeChat Public (“IACMR 2002”)
IACMR WeChat Public “IACMR 2002” published about 80 issues in 2015. As Wechat is the dominating social tool in China we would like to make good use of it. IACMR Beijing office promotes IACMR publications, introduces workshop and conference updates, releases IACMR news, announces important notices, recommends good articles or books with the help of “IACMR 2002” on weekly basis to keep our members in touch. By the end of 2015, over 4,200 people have subscribed to ‘IACMR2002’.
4. With the help of IACMR members, we collected and published top journal of contents every two or three months in 2015. We provided information of paper title, journal name and issue No. and authors’ names, and added with reasons of recommendation.
5. Six IACMR members were introduced in “Members’ Profiling”(in Chinese) in 2015. They shared their experiences and memories growing up with IACMR.
? – Publication transfer from Wiley to Cambridge University Press was complete and IACMR fee-paying members enjoy free online access to MOR backlog. Cambridge University Press published 4 issues of MOR in 2015 and the MOR impact factor in 2014 is 2.44.
? – Five MOR papers (published in 2012) have been awarded Emerald Citation of Excellence Winners in 2015;
? – MOR has recently been added to the UK’s Association of Business Schools’ Academic Journal Guide;
? – MOR is now rated as a category ‘A’ journal from the Australian Business Deans Council
? – MOR Dialogue, Debate, and Discussion Section was added in volume 11 to inspire new ideas and passionate discussion.
2. Management Insights (MI)
Previously Chinese Management Insights by IACMR, now Management Insights, is co-published by IACMR and the School of Management, Fudan University. It is a quarterly publication, beginning January 2015.The new Management Insights(MI) retains the two primary sections – “research highlights” and “executive perspectives” and both sections are in both English and Chinese, continuing the tradition of CMI. The new MI has additional sections of special topic “columns” by distinguished scholars, “readings” –book reviews and reflections on best-selling books, and “no boundary” essays. The Electronic version of Management Insights – is available online. IACMR paid members can read full articles online by logging in with their IACMR usernames.
3. Bimonthly Briefing
IACMR Beijing office edited and published 6 issues of Bimonthly Briefing. All issues have been sent to over 9,000 registered members by email for their reading online.
2015 Emerald/IACMR Chinese Management Research Fund Award
The winner will receive £2,000 to fund the winning research project and two runners up will receive prizes of £500 each. The closing date for applications is 15 May 2016. Results will be announced in July 2016.
News of IACMR Officers and Members
1. Prof. Anne Tsui, Founding President of IACMR, received the Distinguished Service Award during the Presidential Address and Career Awards session at the 75th AOM annual meeting in Vancouver on Aug. 9, 2015.
2. The Chinese version of the MOR editorial (Vol. 10-3) by Prof. Anne S. Tsui, “The Spirit of Science and Socially Responsible Scholarship” was published in the 1st issue of Management World, a top journal in China in the management field. The article ‘Reconnecting the business world – Socially Responsible Scholarship ‘ was launched at the brand new Global Focus site of EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). By “Socially Responsible Scholarship”, Anne S Tsui suggested how business school scholars can overcome the growing criticism of irrelevant and self-serving research.
3. Xiao-Ping Chen has been named a fellow of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP), a division of the American Psychological Association.“This prestigious honor is in recognition of outstanding accomplishments in the field and awarded to only a few select recipients,”said Ronald Landis, chair of the Department of Psychology at the Illinois Institute of Technology and a SIOP Fellow.
4. IACMR member, Eric W. K. Tsang won Academy of Management Review Decade Award paper. Each year the award is given to the most cited paper among all the papers published in the same volume of the Academy of Management Review (AMR) ten years ago.
5. IACMR member, Dr. Dong Liu and his co-authors recently advanced a new organizational theory, Event System Theory (EST) published in the October issue of the Academy of Management Review (AMR) (Morgeson, Mitchell, & Liu, 2015).
Special Memorial for Prof. Kwok Leung
Prof. Kwok Leung, a beloved member of IACMR, former Deputy Editor-in-Chief of MOR, passed away on May 25, 2015. Prof. Leung made gigantic contribution to scholarship, to educating the next generation of scholars, to IACMR/MOR/China and to his family and friends. To commemorate Prof. Leung, IACMR collected memorial essays and messages and built a webpage where Prof. Leung’s colleagues, students, friends and IACMR members could contribute their memories of him and bid him farewell. IACMR WeChat [IACMR2002] also compiled and released 3 special issues to commemorate Prof. Leung. IACMR has also reserved a room to commemorate him at the forthcoming Academy of Management Meetings at Vancouver on August 9, 2015. IACMR has established the Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund to help keep Kwok in our hearts and minds over the coming years and to honor Kwok’s support for young scholars. The fund will support Ph.D. student dissertation research. The Call for Proposals for Kwok Leung Memorial Dissertation Fund has been publicized with the submission deadline of March 15, 2016.