2017 Workshop Call for Applications
2017 IACMR Research Methods Workshop
July 9-13, 2017
Call for Applications
Application Deadline: February 15th, 2017
Dear IACMR Member,
You are cordially invited to apply for the IACMR Research Methods Workshop to be held from July 9-13, 2017, at Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China. The purposes of the workshop are to introduce the major research methods involved in designing a high quality research project, to provide instructions on developing a research project that will make a meaningful contribution to knowledge and practice, and to build relationships with world-class management scholars. The 4-day program will consist of lectures and intensive discussion sessions for developing your research proposals. The workshop’s ultimate goal is to help develop research projects that will address important management problems and be publishable in international (English) academic journals. The instructional language for the workshop is English and Chinese. The previous workshops were well received. Please visit here to view the feedback and reflections about the 2015 workshop held at Tianjin University, Tianjin.
In addition to lectures, students/faculty with similar research interests will be put into the same discussion groups. Workshop participants will benefit from in-depth feedback and discussions of their proposal with the faculty advisors guiding the sessions and the other participants working in similar research areas. The discussions will focus on constructive comments and recommendations for improving proposals that would make a significant contribution to the advancement of organization and management knowledge. The workshop is also a very good opportunity to build relationships with well known management scholars (see the Faculty Advisor List at the end of this document).
Requirements on participants:
To qualify for participation in this workshop, you must meet the following criteria:
(a) You are either a graduate student already enrolled in a Ph.D. program and has finished at least one year’s course work or a junior faculty with a PhD degree, who has been a faculty for NO more than five years.
(b) You have NOT attended any previous IACMR Research Methods Workshop.
(c) You are proficient in reading, speaking, and writing English.
(d) You are a fee-paying member of IACMR.
(e) You sign a pledge form (appended to the end of this Call), agreeing to specific requirements to be a participant in this workshop.
Please submit a maximum 4-page research proposal in ENGLISH (Times New Roman 12 point font size, double spaced, with 1 inch margins) including tables, figures or references. The proposal must be new, preferably still in the conceiving or designing stage, rather than work with data already collected. In the proposal you should provide 1) the research question with concise statements of its nature and importance, 2) major concepts that address the research questions, 3) the major hypotheses that you would like to develop or explore through empirical studies, and 4) to the extent possible, the research methods of your study including research design (e.g., survey, experiment, or secondary data), sampling, and possible statistical methods.
The research proposal will be reviewed and evaluated on the basis of the extent to which 1) the research questions are of theoretical and/or practical importance, 2) the concepts are adequately defined and hypotheses are clearly formulated with reasonable rationale and form a coherent theoretical model, 3) the methods are appropriate and adequate for addressing the research questions. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive, we apologize that we will not be able to provide feedback on your proposal, except the decision of acceptance or not.
The entire application should have the following components:
(1) a one-page cover letter in English confirming: IACMR membership, membership expiration date, and position title (for faculty, please state your rank and list number of years after PhD degree; for doctoral students please list number of years in the PhD program);
(2) a one-page résumé in English indicating education, experience, and up to five representative publications (including information of author, year, and journal) or research papers in either English or Chinese;
(3) a four-page research proposal in English as described above;
(4) two one-page reference letters in either English or Chinese from faculty advisors for students and from department head and/or senior colleagues for faculty applicants;
(5) Completed pledge form (see last page of this document).
The application deadline is Feb. 15th, 2017. Submit this 9-page word file electronically to the workshop website on www.iacmr.org between Dec. 15, 2016 and Feb 15th, 2017. The workshop space is limited. We encourage you to apply early. A final acceptance/rejection decision will be made by March 31st, 2017.
The 2017 research method workshop is generously sponsored by the International Association for Chinese Management Research (IACMR) and Huazhong University of Science & Technology. The workshop registration fees will be RMB1600/student and RMB3000/faculty. Please note that the registration fee is only about 20% of the cost of the workshop due to the generous support of Huazhong University of Science & Technology. For participants who have been accepted by March 31st 2017, to reserve your space, we must receive your registration fee by May 1st, 2017, paid on-line. Please feel free to contact us if you have problems when making the online payment. Our contact details are as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org，010 6275 8824.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
Workshop Program Director: Jiing-Lih Larry Farh (China Europe International Business School)
Workshop Program Committee: Jiing-Lih Larry Farh, Chao C. Chen, Zongjun Wang, Lirong Long, Jianqiao Liao, Liangding Jia, Jian Liang Jing Zhou and Yan Zhang.
Director of Local Arrangement Committee: Zongjun Wang, Dean, School of Management, Huazhong University of Science & Technology
Executive Director of the Local Arrangement Committee: Jianqiao Liao, Professor, School of Management, Huazhong University of Science & Technology
Faculty Advisors (in alphabetical order):
1. Anne S. Tsui, University of Notre Dame, Arizona State University
2. Ann Yan Zhang, Peking University
5. Haibin Yang, City University of Hong Kong
6. Haiyang Li, Rice University
7. Jian Liang, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
8. Jiing-Lih Larry Farh, China Europe International Business School
9. Jing Zhou, Rice University
10. Jinyu He, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
11. Liangding Jia, Nanjing University
12. Xu Huang, The Hong Kong Baptist University
13. Wei Shen, Arizona State University
14. Xueguang Zhou, Stanford University
15. Zhixue Zhang, Peking University
For questions about the workshop, applications and schedules, please contact IACMR Office email@example.com, +86 10 6275 8824. For questions about the venue and accommodation, please contact Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Wei He at firstname.lastname@example.org, 186 2712 2873).
2017 IACMR Research Methods Workshop Participant Pledge Form
I agree to the following requirements if I am accepted to participate in the 2017 IACMR Research Methods Workshop.
1. I will attend the workshop and participate in all activities.
2. I will arrive on time for all lectures and discussion sessions.
3. I will fully prepare for in-depth discussion about my proposal.
4. I will contribute to discussions actively and respect others’ contributions.
5. I will have read the IACMR Commitment to Excellence statement, which is posted on the IACMR website, before the first day of the workshop.
6. I agree to have read all the materials posted on the workshop website, as instructed by the faculty leaders before the first day of the workshop.
7. I agree to adhere to guidelines for research ethics and ethical conducts in all current and future research activities.
8. If I am accepted by the workshop organizers and need to cancel, I agree to cancel at least one month in advance, and I understand that no refund will be given.
(Name and date)