Annual Review of IACMR Developments in 2014
- IACMR Updates and Development
- IACMR Research Method Workshop and Biennial Conference
- Membership Service
- IACMR Publication
- New Books
- IACMR Awards
- News of IACMR Officers and Members
- Media Coverage
IACMR Updates and Development
- New Leading Team (2014 – 2016)
At the closing ceremony of the 2014 Conference, Prof. Jiing-Lih Larry Farh took office as President of IACMR and the new leadership team was formed as below.
- IACMR Constitution and Bylaws Revised Versions
It has been more than ten years since the creation of the IACMR Constitution in 2002 when IACMR was founded. The growth and expansion of IACMR call for updates and revisions of the Constitution. By July 15, 152 fee-paying members have casted their votes for the revised IACMR Constitution and Bylaws.
- IACMR Academic Advisory Committee
The Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) includes at least twelve distinguished scholars from various constituencies, appointed by the IACMR President in consultation with the Executive Committee, to provide guidance concerning issues affecting IACMR. The current chair is Professor Yuan Li, Dean of Antai College of Economics & Management, Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- IACMR Business Meeting 2014
The 2014 IACMR business meeting was held on Aug. 3 during the AOM annual meeting at Philadelphia. The business meeting was followed by a reception jointly hosted by IACMR/Wiley/Shanghai Jiaotong University. About 100 people were present at the reception, an appealing platform for China-minded international scholars to meet and exchange ideas and have discussions.
IACMR Research Method Workshop and Biennial Conference
- Review on 2014 Biennial Conference
IACMR 2014 Biennial Conference was successfully held in Beijing from June 18-22. 638 papers have been received before the Conference. More information about the Conference can be found in Newsletter 2014 Special Issue.
- Updates on 2015 Research Method Workshop Preparation
The 8th IACMR Research Method Workshop will be held in Tianjin from July 12 to 16, 2015. The College of Management and Economics, Tianjin University hosts this year’s workshop. The workshop schedule and preparation manual were discussed and more details were settled down during IACMR staffs’ site visit in Tianjin. “Call for Applications” has been announced on line and by sending mass email on December 4th, 2014. Online submission system has also been opened.
- 2016 Biennial Conference Updates
IACMR’s 7th biennial meeting will take place in Hangzhou, China, hosted by Zhejiang University. Under the leadership of Ray Friedman, the Program Committee for 2016 IACMR Conference was assembled and chose an inspiring theme of “Culture and Chinese Management.” There will be micro and macro panel sessions running opposite each other, theme-focused session, Chinese Forum and Dean’s form. Additionally an Executive Forum is being considered. Each panel chair has been identified. Distinguished Scholarly Contribution Award and other awards were discussed at the EC meeting and are being considered. The Program Committee is nearly formed with 50 English Program Committee members and 40 China Forum Committee members. The local host is inviting schools to form the Local Arrangement Committee (LAC) to jointly support the conference. And the Call for Submissions has been announced on November 2, 2014. Submission Deadline is midnight October 16, 2015, U.S. Eastern Standard Time.
- IACMR has registered members 8,528 and paid members 1,201 by January 2015. 1,328 new members registered compared to year 2013.
- Pursuit of Excellence Lecture Series
This forum is jointly organized by IACMR and Peking University Press. After the first event held at Huazhong University of Science and Technology on April 12, 2014, the second event of the series took place at the School of Management and Economics, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China on December 21, 2014. Prof. Weiying Zhang (Peiking University), Prof. Fei Xu (Southwest Jiaotong University), and Prof. Jin Chen (Tsinghua University) gave lectures.
- Prof. Xiaoping Chen gave a lecture on “From Context-free to Context-dependent Communication: A Preliminary Conceptualization and Test of a Model of Communication Context across Cultures” in Tianjin University on December 16. Prof. Chen is IACMR past president, Philip M. Condit Chair Professor, Department Chair of Organization and Management, Business School, University of Washington, Executive Chief Editor of Chinese Management Insights, Chief Editor of Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Information Bridge: Information of the industry such as Inaugural International Conference, Faculty Development in International Business-Globalization Workshop, the Confucius China Studies Program (CCSP) Joint Research Ph.D. Fellowship, etc. have been posted on line.
l MOR 2013 Impact Factor: The 2013 Journal Citation Report has been released and we are delighted to report that Management and Organization Review’s 2013 Impact Factor is 3.227 – an increase on the 2012 IF of 2.829. In addition, this moves MOR’s ranking among management journals to 14/172 (from 31/174 in 2012).
l Review on MOR 2014: MOR published 3 issues in 2014 (March, July, and November).
l MOR Research Frontiers Conference: The Inaugural Management and Organization Review (MOR) Research Frontiers Conference was held in Hong Kong from December 4th to 6th at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). The topic of the Conference is “Globalization of Knowledge Creation and Innovation in the Context of Emerging Economies.”
l MOR Awards 2014
1) Management and Organization Review/Peking University Press Best Paper Award of Chinese Theory of Management: Victor Nee (Cornell University), Yang Cao (Cornell University)
2) Wiley-Blackwell—Management and Organization Review Young Scholar Award: Dali Ma (Drexel University)
3) Management and Organization Review Best Reviewer Awards: Chi-Nien Chung (National University of Singapore), Yaping Gong (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology), Tae-Yeol Kim (CEIBS), Leigh Anne Liu (Georgia State University), and Jia Lin Xie(University of Toronto)
l New Changes on MOR
1) Beginning in 2015 MOR will be published by Cambridge University Press. The MOR editorial team has been working closely with CUP on this transition and both parties are excited about the future growth of MOR. MOR will increase the frequency of publication to four issues per year.
2) Beginning with Volume 11 (2015) IACMR members will receive MOR online as part of their annual membership. This is in line with the trend of environmental protection. We don’t encourage our members to subscribe to printed copies. However, members still have an option to receive a printed annual volume for a discounted member fee of $30/year if it is necessary to have printed copies.
- Changes on Monthly Briefing and Newsletter
The electronic quarterly Newsletter (in English) and Monthly Briefing (in Chinese) has been replaced by the Bimonthly Briefing (bilingually) since October 2014. It covers the news about IACMR and the information about research and career development, the briefing will include members’ thoughts, suggestions and news in the members’universities/organizations relevant to management research and teaching.
- CMI changes to MI
Previously Chinese Management Insights (CMI) by IACMR has been changed to Management Insights (MI), co-published by IACMR and School of Management, Fudan University. Publishers are Xiongwen Lu, Dean of School of Management, Fudan University and Anne S. Tsui, Founding President, International Association for Chinese Management Research; Chief Editor is Xiao-Ping Chen, Professor, University of Washington. The new Management Insights (MI) will retain the two primary sections of “research highlights” and “executive perspectives”. The new MI will have additional sections of “columns”, “readings”, and “no boundary”. MI capitalizes on the publication experiences and strengths of Fudan School of Management and the intellectual strength of IACMR. It will be a quarterly publication, beginning March 2015.
- IACMR 2014 New Series of Organization and Management Research Method have been published.
- Management Education for the World: The book was first published in English in July 2013 and the Chinese version of the book was published by Peking University Press in June 2014, just before the 2014 IACMR Conference.
- New Series of Leadership has been published by Peking University Press in October, 2014.
The Li Ning Dissertation Grant, sponsored by Li Ning Company, is established to encourage doctoral students to conduct the dissertation research that borrows existing theories, with appropriate contextualization, to analyze Chinese management phenomena, as well as develops context-specific theories to explain unique Chinese management phenomena. 25 doctoral students have been granted First Prize Award (10,000 RMB/person) and 26 doctoral students have been granted Second Prize Award (5,000 RMB/ person). IACMR conducted a survey to the winners in the past 5 years by email. All the winners express their appreciation to the Award, Lining Company and IACMR for helping them in data collection, paper publishing financially and psychologically.
News of IACMR Officers and Members
IACMR Founding President, Prof. Anne S. Tsui was honored with Outstanding Achievement Award by the University of Minnesota, USA on October 24, 2014. This award recognizes graduates or former students of the University who have attained unusual distinction in their chosen fields or professions, or in public service, and who have demonstrated outstanding achievement and leadership on a community, state, national, or international level. The Outstanding Achievement Award is the highest non-degree award conferred upon distinguished alumni by the University of Minnesota.
- After publication of Management Education for the World, China Business News has noticed the importance of the views in the book and published 4 sections on August 1, 15, 29 and October 10, 2014. (“reconnecting business to society”, “management educators as custodians of society”, “A vision of management education for the world”, “Towards a new type of business school”). They have been re-posted by yicai.com, finance.sina, money.163 (Netease), opinion.hexun, CNFOL (China Finance on line), YNET.
- MOR has been sponsored by the Business School of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Guanghua School of Management of Peking University since its inaugural issue in 2005. Guanghua School of Management released this good news in its official Chinese website.